By Diana Hsieh
Every Saturday, I post the news of the week from my primary work, Philosophy in Action, where I apply rational principles to the challenges of real life. Here's this week's update.
Upcoming Radio ShowsPhilosophy in Action Radio broadcasts live over the internet on most Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings. Below are the episodes upcoming this week. I hope that you join us! More upcoming episodes can be found here: Episodes on Tap.
Thursday evening, 5 June 2014: Chat about "Responsibility & Luck, Chapter Two"
I'll chat about "Discussion of Responsibility & Luck, Chapter Two" with listeners on the live broadcast of Philosophy in Action Radio on Thursday evening, 5 June 2014.
What are some of the common proposed solutions to the problem of moral luck? Why do they fail? I will answer these questions and more in this live discussion of Chapter Two of my book, Responsibility & Luck: A Defense of Praise and Blame.
The live broadcast begins at 6 pm PT / 7 MT / 8 CT / 9 ET on Thursday, 5 June 2014. The podcast will be posted later that evening. For more details, check out the episode page.
Recent PodcastsThe podcasts of last week's radio shows are now available. Check out the full collection of past radio shows in the podcast archives, sorted by date or by topic. Be sure to subscribe to the podcast RSS feed too.
25 May 2014: Q&A on Stylized Life, Legal Dueling, Asking Permission, and More
I answered these questions on Sunday's Philosophy in Action Radio:
Should a person seek to create a stylized life? Should dueling and other consensual fights be legal? Should people ask for permission or ask for forgiveness when breaking the rules?
You can listen to or download the podcast below, and visit the episode's page for more, including audio files for individual questions.
- Duration: 1:13:19
- Download: Enhanced M4A File (26.3 MB) or Standard MP3 File (25.2 MB)
- Tags: Aesthetics, Art, Consent, Contracts, Egoism, Ethics, Honesty, Independence, Integrity, Law, Life, Literature, Objectivism, Politics, Respect, Rights, Rules, Sports, Suicide, Trader Principle, Values, Wrongdoing
- Duration: 1:08:19
- Download: Enhanced M4A File (24.5 MB) or Standard MP3 File (23.5 MB)
- Tags: Business, Crime, Ethics, GLBT, Honesty, Juries, Law, Responsibility, Rights, Rule of Law, Sex
Recent Blog PostsHere are last week's posts to Philosophy in Action's blog NoodleFood, ordered from oldest to newest. Don't miss a post: subscribe to NoodleFood's RSS Feed.
- May 25: Activism Recap
- May 27: NoodleCast #284: Stylized Life, Legal Dueling, Asking Permission, and More
- May 28: Preview: Thursday Radio: Jury Nullification, the Morality of Homosexuality, Dishonesty, and More
- May 30: NoodleCast #285: Jury Nullification, the Morality of Homosexuality, Boss's Dishonesty, and More
- May 30: Paul Hsieh Forbes Column: VA Denies Coverage to USAF Veteran With Brain Tumor
- May 30: ATLOSCon… and a New Horse!
- May 30: New Questions in the Queue
- May 30: Link-O-Rama