By Diana Hsieh
Every Saturday, I post the news of the week from my primary work, Philosophy in Action, where I apply rational principles to the challenges of real life. Here's this week's update.
Upcoming Radio Shows
Philosophy in Action Radio broadcasts live over the internet on most Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. Below are the episodes upcoming this week. I hope that you join us! More upcoming episodes can be found here: Episodes on Tap.
Thursday evening, 13 February 2014: Q&A on Moral Saints, Inventing Stories, and More
I'll answer these four questions on the live broadcast of Philosophy in Action Radio on Thursday evening, 13 February 2014.
- Question 1: Moral Saints: Should we want to be moral saints? In her classic article "Moral Saints," Susan Wolf argues that a person should not wish to be morally perfect, i.e. a moral saint. What is her basic argument? What's right or wrong about it? Does it apply to rational egoism?
- Question 2: Inventing Stories about Yourself: Is it wrong to invent stories about yourself to tell to strangers? In the past, I've made up stories about myself (basically assuming a character) and told them to strangers on the bus or in an airport. When I mentioned this to my spouse, I hadn't really thought of this as lying until I saw his horrified reaction. Do you think this is wrong? If so, why? Would it be acceptable in some contexts, such as for an acting class?
The podcasts of last week's radio shows are now available. Check out the full collection of past radio shows in the archives, sorted by date or by topic. Be sure to subscribe to the podcast RSS feed too.
6 February 2014: Q&A on Feeling Unproductive, Horror Movies, and More
I answered these questions on Thursday's Philosophy in Action Radio:
How can I overcome feeling like a slacker? Do horror movies or books have any redeeming value?
You can listen to or download the podcast below, and visit the episode's page for more, including audio files for individual questions.
- Duration: 1:03:06
- Download: Enhanced M4A File (22.7 MB) or Standard MP3 File (21.7 MB)
- Tags: Aesthetics, Art, Emotions, Ethics, Film, Introspection, Objectivity, Productiveness, Productivity, Psychology, Values
Recent Blog Posts
Here are last week's posts to Philosophy in Action's blog NoodleFood, ordered from oldest to newest. Don't miss a post: subscribe to NoodleFood's RSS Feed.
- February 3: Activism Recap
- February 4: Preview: Thursday Radio: Feeling Unproductive, Horror Movies, and More
- February 7: NoodleCast #269: Feeling Unproductive, Horror Movies, and More