By Diana Hsieh
Some weeks ago, Lierre Keith, the author of The Vegetarian Myth, was attacked by militant anarchist vegans with three pies laced with cayenne pepper while speaking about her book. (This news report is pretty worthless, except that it does show a video of the attack. It was worse than "attacked with three pies" probably sounds.)
I don't have time to say much about the matter, but I wanted to express my disgust and outrage at this vicious assault -- and point folks to some further information on the attack and on The Vegetarian Myth.
First, we have some excellent posts on the attack:
- Barbaric Vegan Activists Hurl Cayenne Pepper Pie Into 'The Vegetarian Myth' Author Lierre Keith's Face by Jimmy Moore
- Mini-Interview with Lierre Keith by Jimmy Moore. The relevant segment runs from 3:10 to about 21:00.
- Lierre Keith Gets a Cayenne Laced Pie in the Face During San Francisco Book Fair Speech by Richard Nikoley
- Vegan Nut-Jobs Attack Lierre Keith and The Vegan True Believers by Tom Naughton. His take-down of the vegans crowing about the attack in the first post is spot-on.
- Review of The Vegetarian Myth by Dr. Michael Eades
- The Vegetarian Myth Revisited and The Moral Vegetarians by Richard Nikoley
- Former 20-Year Vegan Lierre Keith Now Advocates Omnivorism by Jimmy Moore
I hope that her attackers are brought to justice, but sadly, that seems unlikely.
I'm not sure how to contact Lierre Keith to send her a message of support, but you might post something on the Facebook page for her book.